Parolees Anonymous Network (PAN)

Resource Information

Other Sources of Help And Information For Ex-Offenders

Small Business Administration

Small Business Answer Desk

P.O. Box 34500

Washington, DC 20043-4500

Phone: 800-UASK-SBA


Phone: 202-606-4000


If you are interested in going into business for yourself, you can call the U.S. Small Business Administrations (SBA), Small Business Answer Desk or your local SBA office.  SBA can provide you with information on starting and financing your own business and counseling and training programs such as SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives) and state Small Business Development Centers.  Ex-offenders are eligible to apply for the same loan programs as anyone else if not on parole or probation. 

U. S. Department of labor

Employment and Training

200 Constitution Ave., NW

Washington, DC 20210

Telephone: 202-219-6871

The local public One Stop Career Center was established to help unemployed workers, including ex-offenders, find jobs.  Services include job counseling and guidance, job-search training, help with preparing a resume or job application, and evaluation of workers' job skills.  Offices generally do not have specific programs for ex-offenders, but serve all unemployed or underemployed persons.  Some, however, do have special programs for ex-offenders, so be sure to ask when you. 

U. S. Department of Labor

Employment and Training

200 Constitution Av., NW

Washington, DC 20210

Telephone: 202-219-6871


State and local governments and businesses work together to provide free job training and retraining programs under the Job Training Parnterhisp Act (JTPA).  To qualify, individuals must have a low income, so ex-offenders should apply as soon as they are released form prison.  The program can provide job counseling, classroom and on-the-job training, and help with job searches, work experience, counseling, basic skills training and support services.


Ex-offenders can ask their case worker or job counselor for information about JTPA programs.  Also, look in the white pages of the telephone book for Employment and training or Human Resources or Job Service.  Individuals can also call the Mayor's office or the national office of the Employment and Training Programs of the U. S. Department of labor at 202-219-5580.  Jobs Bank Joint project of Federal and local employment service: call local employment service office or


Social Security Administration

Office of Public Inquiries

6401 Security Blvd.

Baltimore, MD 21235-6401

Telephone: 800-772-1213

TTY: 800-325-0778


Social Security is a benefits package of protection for you and your family upon retirement, disability, or survivorship.  It is an insurance program and is based on earnings you had while working.  Supplemental Security Income (SSI) IS AN INCOME MAINTENANCE PROGRAM FOR POOR PEOPLE WHO ARE ELDERLY (AGE 65), BLIND OR DISABLED.


Social Security and SSI are not offender/ex-offender programs as such.  They are programs for all citizens of the United States (also, legally admitted refugees and sponsored aliens) if you qualify under the eligibility guidelines.  


While in prison, benefits are forfeited and will not be paid by SSI or Social Security.  However, if any family member was receiving Social Security payments on your entitlement prior to your incarceration, they may still be eligible.  If they think they qualify, they should contact their nearest local Social Security Office or call the Social Security toll-free information line at 800-772-1213.


If you should file for Social Security or SSI, you may be intially refused or denied benefits.  Don't give up... Do not re-file, but "APPEAL" the decision and also go to a specialist attorney for social security benefits.  Normally, depending on the situation or problem, the appeal or re-appeal through an attorney will help.


Social Security Administration

Office of Public Inquiries

6401 Security Blvd.

Baltimore, MD 21235-6401

Telephone: 800-772-1213

TTY: 800-325-0778

Upon release from prison, you may be required to furnish your Social Security card in order to obtain some services or get a job.  In many cases, you will be asked to show your Social Security Card as evidence of the number assigned to you.  If you are age 18 or older and never had a Social Security Number before, you will need to apply for one in person.  If you already have a Social Security Number but no longer have your card, you can apply for a card by writing any Social Security Office and request an Application Form SS-5.  Complete the application and mail it back to the Social Security office with the required evidence.  The application explains what documents are required, depending on whether you are applying for an original or a replacement card.

Contact a case worker, Job counselor


Distance Education and Training

1601  -  18th St., NW

Washington, DC 20009

Telephone: 202-234-5100

On the internet at:

AT least seven of every ten inmates have not completed high school.  Prison inmates and ex-offenders who don't have a high school diploma can work toward their General Equivalency Diploma (GED) by participating in home study (correspondence) courses.  Individuals enroll with an accredited educational institution which provides lesson materials for study by students on their own.  When each lesson is completed, the student mails the assigned work to the school for correction and grading.  Corrected assignments are returned to the student.  Many courses provide compete vocational training.  Emphasis is on learning what you need to know.

A number of schools offer full four-year high school diploma programs and academic degree programs.  The National Home Study Council offers a directory of members schools.  The following publications also provide information on educational opportunities.

Bear's Guide to Earning College Degrees Non-Traditionally by Ten Speed Press.  Send $27.95 (when last checked)  to Dr. John Bear, 6923 Stockton Ave., El Cerrito, CA. 94530.

Campus-free College Degrees, 5th Edition by Marcie Kisner Thorson, M.A., Adams Media Corp., P.O. Box 470886, Tulsa, OK. 74147 - Telephone: 800-741-7771

The Independent Study Catalog, Peterson's Guides, P.O. Box 2123, Princeton, NJ 08543-2123 Telephone: 800-338-3282


Ex-offenders can also earn educational credits by taking standardized exams.  Tests generally cost less than $70 each.  For more information about credit by examination contact:

ACT/PEP Candidate Registration Guide

American College Testing

P.O. Box 4014

Iowa City, IA 52243

Telephone: 319-337-1000


The Official Handbook for the CLEP Exmaination

College Entrance Examination Board

45 Columbia Ave.

New York, NY 10023-6992

Telephone: 212-713-8000


To Order Book:


College Board Publications

P.O. Box 286

New York, NY 10101-0886


TECEP Test Description Booklets

Office of Test Development and Research

Thomas Edison State College

101 W. State St.

Trenton, NJ 08608-1176

Telephone: 609-984-1140


The U. S. Department of Education publishes booklets entitled The Student Guide and Funding Your Education which outlines major sources of federal educational assistance for post-secondary education.  For a free copy, write to:


Financial Aid

U. S. Department of Education

P.O. Box 84

Washington, DC 20044

Telephone: 800-4-FED-AID